Indoor seated gatherings
Smaller seated gatherings at churches, places of worship, memorial events and funeral services may accommodate up to 250 people or 100 per cent of seating capacity, whichever is fewer, without assessment or approval.
Staff, clergy, church attendants, choir members and anyone assisting with or performing the service are not included in the 250-person limit.
Larger gatherings of more than 250 people may be allowed, but organisers must first register with Business Tasmania for approval and adhere to the relevant restrictions.
- At venues with seating where more than 250 people will be attending and will be seated most of the time, the maximum number of attendees may be up to 100 per cent of seating capacity.
- In unseated areas, such as a foyer, a maximum of one person per two square metres of floor space may be allowed.
Compulsory recording of details for contact tracing
Under the Contact tracing direction, every person 16 years of age or older attending a range of businesses, organisations and events (including staff and attendants) is required to provide their information for contact tracing using the free Check in TAS app.
Operators of the relevant locations are required to register with Check in TAS and prominently display the Check in TAS QR code at all entrances to the premises.
If anyone does not have or cannot use a smartphone or the Check in TAS app, they may be checked in by another person in their group or by the organiser or attendants at the gathering. If no suitable device is available, their details may be recorded with pen and paper. Organisers are permitted to refuse entry to a person who does not provide the required information.
More information, including when and how contact information may be recorded manually, is available at www.checkin.tas.gov.au.
To help manage risks
- there must be a COVID contact person for every event or venue (except for Tier 1 events)
- a COVID-19 Safety Plan must be used at all events and venues
- the event organiser (or contact person) must be ready to present the COVID-19 Safety Plan to an authorised officer immediately on request
- everyone at an event or venue must maintain at least 1.5 metres distancing between themselves and other people, whenever possible
- information must be collected to support rapid contact tracing if required
- other conditions may be imposed through the assessment and approval process
- COVID-19 Safe Events and Activities in Tasmania Framework (Events Framework)
- see the Direction under Section 16 (Mass gatherings – No. 5) under the Public Health Act 1997
- see the Direction under Section 16 (Management of Premises – No 13) under the Public Health Act 1997
- Contact the Department of State Growth by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1800 440 026.